The Youngstown Metropolitan Housing Authority (YMHA) was established in the early 1930s, making it one of the first housing authorities in the United States.
The YMHA has a staff of 80 professionals dedicated to administering 2280 Housing Choice Vouchers, managing a portfolio of 1455 Public Housing units, and operating with a budget of $30 million. The agency’s housing portfolio is concentrated in Youngstown, but some units are scattered throughout Mahoning County.
Residents also benefit from an extensive set of support services that include self-sufficiency programs, housing counseling, youth after school programs, Youthbuild, and Neighborhood Networks computer centers.
The agency is also in the process of concluding a very aggressive, comprehensive modernization of its entire portfolio of housing units.
History and Mission
The Youngstown Metropolitan Housing Authority is a housing organization dedicated to creating and managing healthy and enriching housing environments for its residents. YMHA seeks to accomplish this by:
- Encouraging economic, cultural and racial diversity within its housing developments.
- Managing up-to-date, attractive and well-maintained rental housing for qualified families in Mahoning County.
- Utilizing rental assistance programs to create additional affordable housing opportunities in Mahoning County.
- Assisting senior citizens with secure and independent living environments in Mahoning County at an affordable price.
- Taking the lead in innovative resident services focusing on the advancement of employment and education including youth enrichment, childcare and home ownership programs.
YMHA believes in enhancing the quality of life of its residents by providing attractive, secure, affordable housing and innovative programs designed to enable residents to achieve a higher level of economic and social self-sufficiency.